Another Florence favorite…
The Opera del Duomo, just behind the Cathedral in Florence, was founded in 1891 to house the works of art which, through the course of the centuries, had been removed from the Duomo and the Baptistry.
The museum displays construction materials and instruments used for Brunelleschi’s dome of the Cathedral. On the landing between the two floors is another of Michelangelo’s Pietàs that used to stand in the Duomo. Most likely, he intended it for his own tomb; the hooded figure of Nicodemus is often interpreted as a self-portrait. The damage to Christ’s left leg and arm is believed to have been inflicted by Michelangelo himself in frustruation at his failing skills.
We love the main room on the second floor which contains two choir lofts that once stood in the Duomo: one scupted by Luca della Robbia (1431-38), the other by Donatello (1433-39). And in the room on the left are reliefs by Pisano from the Campanile, the bell tower. Ghiberti’s original doors facing the Duomo can be admired in their magnificent golden splendor and up close.
And there are many Donatello’s including the famous Mary Magdalene. Enjoy!